For most of us, pasta is one of the pleasures we felt we had to give up when we began our fitness journey but you don’t have to give up pasta and I can show you how to enjoy delicious pasta that’s healthy as well.
Here’s a delicious recipe I found from https://lifemadesweeter.com
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta use gluten free if necessary
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk asparagus ends trimmed, cut into 1″ sections
- 5-6 snap peas
- 1/3 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sweet bell peppers I used a mix of red and orange, cut into 1″ chunks
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup frozen peas thawed
- juice from 1 lemon
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese optional
- Optional: Serve with cooked chicken breasts cut into strips
- Cook the pasta in a large pot filled with water according to package directions. Drain and reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water to thin out the pasta (or use cream if you prefer a creamier consistency). Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the asparagus, snap peas and cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender but not too soft. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Return the same pan back to heat and drizzle in remaining oil. Add the garlic and green onions and sauté for about 15 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the carrots and bell peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Toss in the cherry tomatoes and the peas and cook for another minute. Add the cooked asparagus, snap peas and cauliflower back into the pan. Stir in the cooked pasta, lemon juice, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Add a little bit of pasta water or cream (as needed to thin out). Serve warm.
- To make the chicken
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan on medium heat. Add chicken and cook until brown and cooked through, about 7-8 minutes on each side. Slice into strips and serve over pasta.