What do you think? It definitely seems like every fitness blogger is talking about eating clean, clean eating, and the other many variations of this one phrase. The question though is that, is clean eating really all that? Does my eating affect my weightloss and fitness?
I definitely agree that clean eating is an integral part of weightloss and I practice it in my own life, as well as encourage all my clients to do same.
So what really is eating clean? Is it loading up your plate with veggies or eating only fish or even not eating desserts at all? Don’t worry, I am about to break it down for you. Keep reading to see what clean eating is not and then what it actually is.
- Clean Eating is not only eating fruits and veggies 🙅🏾♀️🙅🏾♀️. Do I even need to explain this point? I mean it’s one thing to add veggies to your plate and eat more fruits but it’s another thing to think you can survive on only eating those. Where will you get the protein, carbohydrates and fats and oil?
- Clean eating is not refusing to eat desserts at all. Let me start by saying, can you even survive without sweets at all? Well, maybe that’s a bit extreme and applicable to only a sweet tooth like me. The point though is that clean eating needs to be a sustainable lifestyle so you should make provision for it. The guide here is not to over indulge but enjoy your desserts as needed.
- Clean eating is not boring! Literally every time on Instagram or Facebook, someone is asking me how I do it since healthy food is boring. The truth though is that healthy food isn’t boring especially to me. You can just try new recipes and mix things up. Besides clean eating is simply finding a way to eat less calorie dense and more nutritious meals.
So if you have been wondering what eating clean is, here are tips to help you.
- Clean eating is increasing your raw food intake. Yes I said it! The WHO recommends 400 grams of fruit daily as an adequate amount for nutrition. So clearly we all need to eat more fruits and veggies.
- Clean eating is finding healthy swaps. So you like processed juice? How about you try smoothies. You love pasta, how about you try zuchhinees. You love ice cream, try a fro-yo and even replace cake with banana bread. In all you do, make sure you’re creative and open to trying new things
- Clean eating is taking less fried food. With the rise of cholesterol and other diseases, it’s important that you do your best to eat less oil fried foods and opt for grilled or air fried options.