Generally speaking, everyone deals with a good amount of cravings. We all hear ourselves say from time to time, I’m craving this, I’m craving that but I think in pregnancy, it just triples, like you get hungry for then strangest things and at the strangest times. You find yourself getting hungry time after time and wanting to eat things you haven’t eaten in years.
If we actually ate all that we felt like eating, we will sooner than later find ourselves adding on so much more pounds and even eating less of the healthy and nutritious food that we should eat. Therefore, the question becomes, how do we take care of our cravings and ensure that we are eating the right meals for us?
Here are a few tips that can help;
- Eat a very balanced and nutritious diet that includes protein, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and legumes.
- Eat regularly to avoid drops in blood sugar that could trigger food cravings. Sharing your daily food into six small and satisfying meals can help.
- If the urge to eat a particular meal or snack becomes too much, take some water and go out to run some errands and do some activity.
- Focus on lower-calorie foods as alternatives to more calorie-dense ones.
- Create healthy alternatives for the snacks and meals you crave. Try to assemble a healthy snack instead of feasting on any available one.