There’s something about a new year that makes everyone excited and on a high. It’s probably a combination of the happiness that comes from the knowledge that we made it to a new year, or the sense of wonder of what the new year holds, but whatever it is, it makes us believe we can achieve all our goals.
I know most of you already wrote out your new year resolutions or goals or mantras. Whatever you’re choosing to call it is not as important as actually making sure you have a plan to achieve it. While we’re on the topic of new goals, I hope you have fitness goals in there. So whether it’s weight loss, toning your muscles or even maintaining your weight, make sure that this year you challenge yourself.
As you already know, it always gives me a sense of joy to help people especially when it relates to their fitness or health goals. So this year, I decided to give you a few tips to help you stick with and achieve your fitness goals. Having coached thousands of people over a few years, I know that the major issue most people have with their fitness goals is staying consistent, so that’s why I wrote this blog to help you stay motivated, accountable and consistent so that you can reach your fitness goals.
That said, here are 5 tips that can help you achieve your health goals in this new year.
- Get accountability: You have probably heard the saying that if you want to go fast, go alone but if you want to go far, go together. There is so much power in having an accountability partner to work with, keep you motivated and keep you in check. Look, it’s usually easy the first few weeks but it gets harder as time goes on, so you need someone else to encourage you when things get tough. So get a friend, your spouse, your kids, open a group or even talk to a stranger on the internet, but this year, make sure you find a partner to work with on your fitness goals, so you can stay accountable.
- Schedule It: if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail. You can’t say you’re serious about your fitness goals or losing weight and you have no plan for it. It’s not on your calendar, it’s not a part of your routine, nothing. That won’t work if you’re serious about your goals. Take some time and plan your fitness into your routine. It may mean that you have to wake up earlier, set up a reminder or meal prep but make sure you have a plan in your schedule to accommodate it.
- Buy Accessories: if you have planned to make your fitness a priority this year then you need to get the right gear to help you achieve your fitness goals. It may be new workout gear, a fitness watch so you can track your workouts, a headset so that you can play your favorite music, a few gym equipments so you can make a home gym or even a cute water bottle to encourage you to drink water. You know best what you need to make your fitness a success this year, so get what you need.
- Track It: tracking your progress is an integral part of ensuring you achieve your fitness goals. Be sure to get your starting measurements so that you can always know how far you have come. Apart from just changes on your scale or measuring tape, also track how your body feels and how much energy and resistance you now have as all those are very helpful for determining how far you have come since you started, and can give you a boost when you need it.
- Get Help: sometimes even with all the information available, it’s difficult to lose weight or get fit and you need someone to help you get started or work with you. There’s no shame in asking for help, so if you need help this year, be sure to ask for it and a great place to start is to join my lose 50 pounds in 100 days challenge.